Sunday, July 20, 2014

When Tragedy Strikes

     Life is filled with ups and downs, hills and valleys. Globally, we are faced with recent tragedies such as the deaths of young children left in cars, the fighting in Ukraine and Israel and  the airplane crash of Malaysia flight 17. First, I would like to offer my sincerest condolences to all of those who have lost loved ones within the aforementioned tragedies, as well as others not listed. May God grant you peace during your time of mourning.

     We as humans are born to die and leave this earth, but what about our spiritual lives?  When I learned of these tragedies, my first thought was to pray for their souls. In my prayer, I claimed that each of those individuals knew Jesus Christ and reached out to Him during their last moments. My next prayer was for the families and loved ones of those who died to receive God's mercy, grace, peace and comfort. No doubt, the pain, anger and void felt by those who mourn is simply unmeasurable but there is nothing left to do for those who are lost to us. My focus and concern  now rests on those left behind.

     As Christians, we are prime targets for Satan. He wants you to believe that God will not stand by His promises and that God's Word is a lie. He will use tragedies such as these to attempt to convince you of this. Satan's primary goal and only objective is to steal, kill and destroy. It is during these times that we need to hold-fast to what we know is true. What do we know?
          "Now may God himself, the God of peace, make you pure, belonging only to him. May your whole self - spirit, soul and body- be kept safe and without fault when our Lord Jesus Christ comes. You can trust the One who calls you to do that for you." I Thessalonians 5:23-24
            "I am with you and will protect you everywhere you go and will bring you back to this land. I will not leave you until I have done what I have promised you." Genesis 28:15
           "The only temptation that has come to you is that which everyone has. But you can trust God, who will not permit you to be tempted more than you can stand. But when you are tempted, he will also give you a way to escape so that you will be able to stand." I Corinthians 10:13

     As long as you do the will of Satan and live under the Spirit of the Law of Sin and Death, Satan will not come for you because he already has you. But, as long as we believe in Jesus Christ and live according to His word, then Satan will come after us with everything he's got. Once Jesus Christ died on the cross, not only did he save us from all of our sins but He also took Satan down. Satan no longer has a hold on you through sin unless you invite him. This is what the Word says:
            "Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his great power. Put on the full armor of God so that you can fight against the devil's evil tricks. Our fight is not against people on earth but against the rulers and authorities and the powers of this world's darkness, against the spiritual powers of evil in the heavenly world. That is why you need to put on God's full armor. Then on the day of evil you will be able to stand strong. And when you have finished the whole fight, you will still be standing." Ephesians 6:10-13
          "Dear children, do not let anyone lead you the wrong way. Christ is all that is right. So to be like Christ a person must do what is right. The devil has been sinning since the beginning, so anyone who continues to sin belongs to the devil. The Son of God came for this purpose: to destroy the devil's work."         I John 3:7-8

     One cannot allow grief and anger regarding your personal tragedy, to separate you from the love of God for He cares for you. If you have not accepted Jesus Christ as your personal Lord and Savior, there is no better time like the present. Psalm 91:14-15 says, " The Lord says, "Whoever loves me, I will save. I will protect those who know me. They will call to me and I will answer them. I will be with them in trouble: I will rescue them and honor them." Also, 2 Corinthians 4:9 says, "We are persecuted, but God does not leave us. We are hurt sometimes, but we are not destroyed." Satan may use this tragedy to come after you but you don't have to follow him. Instead, follow The One who created you, gave you life and has protected you even from the womb. He knows all about you and wants nothing but the best for you. You may be going through a storm right now but God cares for you and will not leave you to handle it all alone. Trust God and He will carry you through this and every other storm that lies ahead.


Prayer of Salvation
"Dear Jesus,
I believe in You. I believe You are the Son of God, that You died for my sins, and that You were buried and rose again as written in the Bible. I'm sorry for sinning against You. Forgive me for all my sins. Come into my heart. Take charge of my life and make me the way You want me to be. I repent of my sins. I confess You now as my Lord and Savior. Fill me with Your Holy Spirit. Thank You, Jesus! In Jesus' Name, Amen.



READ     *    PRAY    *     TRUST     *     OBEY  

No comments:

Post a Comment